i want to get off the pill...

12.14.2013

don't worry, there's still plenty of this in my future

i posted this question on facebook the other day:

ok, first off, I AM NOT TRYING TO GET PREGNANT. ok, now onto the important stuff: has anyone stopped using the pill and charted their cycles and NOT gotten pregnant? i'm ready to be off the pill, but like i said, I AM NOT TRYING TO GET PREGNANT, just want to stop taking unnecessary hormones.... i've found a few books on it, but just thought i'd ask... that's what facebook is for, right? all too personal posts for everyone to see? again, I AM NOT TRYING TO GET PREGNANT, just so we are clear... now bring on the advice

so i figured i may as well broaden the scope and ask all you folks out there, too... any thoughts? comments? suggestions? i think i may purchase this bookto  help me out... it just feels wrong taking hormones, and i want to stop. i want a holistic way to deal with it. 

 photo 0b0efb92-5080-460a-bc2f-1d49492e1382_zps3989986b.jpg
plenty of this, too

also, i normally do not post such personal shit on facebook- i save that for the blog, obviously (;  so please don't think i'm one of those crazy fools who has to update everyone with every gruesome/ridiculous/annoying update in their lives. again, i only do that for the blog. but i legitimately would like some perspective here... and i would LOVE to be off the hormonal nonsense that is the pill... it's been WAY too long. like, over a decade. it's time.* so if anyone has experience with getting off the pill and NOT becoming pregnant, i would love to hear about it!  thanks friends (;








*but not time to have a baby, just so we are clear....

7 comments:

Janelle @ Two Cups Of Happy said...

Well, I don't want to jinx myself, but here goes. I went off the pill long ago as it caused infections. That was about 3 years ago. Now I use good ol Trojans & "mechanical methods". Works fine for the short term, but be prepared to constantly think you're pregnant! Haha. The worry is a lot to handle sometimes. My sister got a non-horomonal (copper IUD) and loves it. So I might get that in the new year. Hope it helsp!

Cece said...

I have one co worker who has been using the rhythm method for years with no accidents and another who tried it and got preggo within 6 months. I want to get off too but I don't like any other options

~M~ said...

TCOYF is a great book. So much info! I can mail you my book if you want it! Just let me know :)

The only down side to charting cycles with your temperature is you can't have any alcohol or it will mess with your temps.

Google NFP and your area and find someone who teaches the Creighton Model (usually Catholic Churches offer it, but you certainly don't have to be Catholic) which monitors cervical mucous. It is easy peasy and it doesn't matter if you had disrupted sleep or drink alcohol (unlike with charting basal body temp). Basically a dumbed down version is you wipe before and after every time you go to the bathroom and look and see what's on the tissue. They will teach you how to determine fertile days vs. non-fertile days. Plus insurance covers it! I did mine one on one with a physician's assistant instead of in a class room setting. The one on one was better because I could set appointments for when it worked for my schedule.

I think it is awesome you want to get off the pill! In my case the pill masked so many problems and when I was ready to have a child it took months and months for my cycle to come back. Even when it did come back they were long and irregular and anovulatory. I was put on the pill at 18 for irregular cycles which makes me so mad now because the pill doesn't fix anything it just covers it up.

twistyjuniper said...

I've been off for over a year. The first 6 months we thought we would try to have a baby so I charted like mad. Then we bought a house and put it off … blah blah. Still NOT WANT TO HAVE A BABY YET! But still only charting and using a diaphragm (during the "danger zone") without spermacide.

Go for it! Just chart, chart, chart. Order the ovulating predictor tests from amazon ($12 or so for a pack of 50!) and use them for the first few months until figure out your cycle. Also … the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility is pretty great. Good luck!

twistyjuniper said...

I've been off for over a year. The first 6 months we thought we would try to have a baby so I charted like mad. Then we bought a house and put it off … blah blah. Still NOT WANT TO HAVE A BABY YET! But still only charting and using a diaphragm (during the "danger zone") without spermacide.

Go for it! Just chart, chart, chart. Order the ovulating predictor tests from amazon ($12 or so for a pack of 50!) and use them for the first few months until figure out your cycle. Also … the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility is pretty great. Good luck!

rhianna brooke said...

I got off birth control years ago and have been tracking my cycles with an app since then. If you have super regular cycles, I think it works wonderfully. I've always been like clockwork, so it was easy but I have a few girlfriends that this method hasn't worked for since they have irregular periods. It might take a while getting off birth control for your cycles to regulate, but if they do -- I think it will work. I did not get pregnant with this method -- as someone stated above, just make sure you use something during the "danger zone."

I became super in tune with my body, so that was an upside of using this method. And a plus, for me, was that the first cycle my husband and I decided to start trying for a baby, we got pregnant.

Julia D. said...

I sent this to you in an e-mail, but I really want to make sure you got it. I saw this video (http://www.redtentsisters.com/ecocontraception/) and immediately thought of this post because the lady doing it has similar reasons for wanting to get off hormonal contraception. The Justisse method that she has extensively researched ends up having the same effectiveness rate as the Pill, I believe and involves solutions to the problems many commenters have rightly recognized with other natural birth control methods. From what I can see/understand it definitely seems worth looking into!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground